Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tales from the Road Redux

Dateline: Macon, Georgia, 10:18 pm

Here we are, back in the La Quinta Inn on Riverside Road. My feeings about the return trip from Florida are akin to my feelings about taking down the Christmas tree. Not nearly as much fun on the return.

And today's trip didn't change my feelings. It was long, and boring, laced with intermittent contstruction slow downs and one complete standstill due to a horrible roll over accident, the aftermath of which made me shudder and say a silent prayer. We had considered stopping in Valdosta for the night, but since it was only 4:30 when we rolled by the La Quinta Inn (exit 18), we opted to travel the extra 160 miles to Macon.

In retropsect, we probably should have stayed in Valdosta, because those 160 miles are billboard laden, construction ridden, ugly miles. The speed limit carreens between 70 and 55 and 60, with Georgia Highway Patrol lurking behind every concrete barricade. By the time we finally rolled in, it was after 7:30 and no one (including the furry four footed passengers) had eaten dinner.

But now, after some take out from the Italian restaurant on the corner, a glass of wine, and a brand new episode of ER on TV (the first TV I've watched in two weeks!), we're all feeling better. And, by the way, in case you're wondering why we're always staying in La Quinta Inns - they're all dog-friendly. (Magic and Molly have been conversing with the rather noisy West Highland Terrier and miniature dachsund in the room next door to prove it.)

Tomorrow it's on to Lexington. I'm anticipating a much nicer journey through the Smoky Mountains (my favorite part of the trip).

And on Saturday, the flatlands of Ohio.

And then, home.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of pet friendly hotels.
I am an awful traveller...I could've never made that trip!
Happy 2008!

1/03/2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea (or had it and lost it) that your stay in Florida was so brief. I thought you'd be here a month anyway. Safe travels.

1/04/2008  
Blogger Sherry said...

Too true...the ride home is never the same as the ride there...partly because we're anxious to be back in our own "place" but the thrill of the adventure has left us.

I like La Quinta..I've only stayed there once (in Ohio) and my son stayed in one in New Jersey which I referred to friends who loved it...nice to know they are also pet friendly.

1/04/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home