Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Teaspoon-ful of Soup



Who can eat just a teaspoon-ful of soup? Certainly not me, especially on a cold, rainy day like it was today. I want to fill up on a heaping bowlful of something hot, rich, and satisfying!
Deirdre, one of my favorite blogger buddies, has a neat new site called Teaspoon Tuesday, and every week she offers us a chance to share a little something sweet about life in general. This week, the topic is soup, and I'm looking forward to picking up some new recipes for one of my favorite comfort foods.
Just a while ago, on another cold, rainy, Michigan day (unfortunately, I fear a weather pattern is developing here!) I shared one of my all time favorite soup recipes. Today, I'm offering a brand new one - I haven't made this yet, but I just ate a big bowl of it at the home of one of my best friends (who also happens to be a gourmet cook, lucky for me!) It is rich, creamy, soothing, and delicious. She served it with hot Parkerhouse rolls, a leafy green salad garnished with blue cheese, dried cherries and dressed in a simple vinaigrette. Scrumptous! and even better when enjoyed in the company of friends.
Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
In a food processor, coarsely chop 3 cans (15 1/2 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained; and 1 cup chopped tomatoes, also drained.
In a big 6 quart soup kettle, saute ( in 1/4 cup of butter ) - 1 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup minced shallots, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon salt. When the onion has softened, stir in bean puree.
Add 4 cups beef broth, one 16 oz can of pumpkin puree, and 1/2 cup dry sherry. Simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
Just before serving, add 1/2 pound diced ham and 3-4 tablespoons sherry vinegar. If necessary, simmer, stirring until heated through.
Serve garnished with sour cream or plain yogurt.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Deirdre said...

This sounds like a perfect winter soup - hearty, rich, and very comforting. Yum.

10/17/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I think I will try to find the ingredients and see what I can come up with. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

10/18/2006  
Blogger Amber said...

Mmmmm! That sounds really good. And this is one my vegi freinds CAN eat! So I will pass it on. ;)

:)

10/18/2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Yum!

10/18/2006  
Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Sounds gloriously yummy! I will most certainly have to try it....menu and all!

10/19/2006  
Blogger jzr said...

Oh, Yum!! Sounds wonderful! I'll try it!! Soups and stews are my favorite things to cook!!

10/20/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This soup is a must try for me. Looks delish! Thanks for sharing it.

10/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home