Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Write On Wednesday-Coming Alive

Don't ask yourself what the world needs.
Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
~Harold Thurman Whitman
Each time I run across these words, I feel an electric shock run down my spine.
They remind me that the world, myself included sometimes, is filled with people going through the motions of their days, finding no joy, no deep indwelling sense of satisfaction or accomplishment, nothing that creates the feeling of life abundantly lived. So these words prod and poke me, nudge me to search for what creates the spark of life in my soul.
They confronted me this morning when I opened my brand new copy of Foolsgold, by Susan G. Woolridge (author of Poemcrazy). Outside my window, a cloudy, drizzly September day waits for me. Another day in my office beckons, a day of paper shuffling and organizing, a day of sifting through piles of medical records and information. Nothing about the prospect of this day makes me come alive.

But if I am honest, I recognize that I am luckier than most~I've achieved half the battle to follow that credo. I, at least, have found the things that make me come alive.

Certainly, writing is one of them.

Foolsgold promises to help me "find the artist within by cultivating a creative lifestyle that will not only expand and inspire you, but may also ground and heal you." A "creative lifestyle" is what interests me here. In the past months, as I've come to realize how much writing means to me, I've allowed it to play a bigger role in my inner life. Yet I keep it tucked in the cupboard of my lifestyle, afraid to let it to play in the daylight hours, only taking it out when I've completed all the other, less livening activities.

I think in order to start living that "fully alive" life the world needs, I must allow creativity to permeate my entire lifestyle, not just those few "off hours" when the regular work is done.

What does that mean in practical terms? I'm not sure. Perhaps Foolsgold will provide some answers, as I read it with that thought in mind.

It will be a journey, this "coming alive" process.

I'll keep you posted.

How about you? Have you found the things that make you come alive? Are you doing them?


Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in a bit of a slump ---- looking for a magic key, I'm off to google Foolsgold. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

9/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, lovely entry. Writing is one of my things. And reading. Music, cafes - not so much for the coffee, but for the atmosphere.

What is this Write On Wednesday thing please?

9/26/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Connecting to people like you makes me come alive. Blogging has brought me back into the world and I have been inspired to tap into my creative side. I never knew I had one! I think I'd even like to go back to school.


XXOO

9/26/2007  
Blogger Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

Hi Becca,

Again, your words really speak to my soul. From one "writer soul to another", I cherish my time absorbing your "creative lifestyle."

Keep up the wonderful writing, and I think I'm off to check out "Foolsgold!"

Smiles,
Michele

9/26/2007  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

What a great quote. Thanks for sharing!

9/26/2007  
Blogger Michele said...

Oops! Sorry, I forgot to answer the question!

Yes, I've found what makes me "come alive."

Writing, singing, helping people, counseling others who have survived domestic violence, and living a vegetarian lifestyle, just to name a few... (and yes, I'm actually doing them!).

Smiles,
Michele

9/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele sent me over... GREAT site! I'll have to spend some time here.

I don't have an zenlike life but when I look at the hundreds of paintings I've done and my poetry, and I also make lampwork glass beads, and jewelry - and I teach guitar and piano twice a week.

Gosh, I guess I have a creative life. Just not a free-flowing spiritual life, more like tortured and painful right now - but I'm creative anyway.

Some of us just plow the feilds like old farmers and get the job done whether it's a nice day or not!

blessings,
julia
julia ward - a BLINDING heart - a writer's blog
www.ablindingheart.com

9/27/2007  
Blogger Bibi said...

Great points in here. I agree about creativity permeatng one's life versus setting aside a few hours for it. When I did mostly corporate work, it was so hard to flip from an aggessive-often unpleasant-business meeting, to doing a talk radio interview jsut an hour later where I had to be upbeat and on-point.

Passion makes me feel alive. I must have passion for what I do ...

9/27/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home