Sunday, October 14, 2007

Please Remain Seated

"Your vehicle has momentarily stopped. Please remain seated. Your vehicle will begin moving shortly."

If you've ever been to Disney World, you might have heard those words when your ride stopped in its tracks for some mysterious reason. There you sit, often in nearly complete darkness, perhaps perched on the edge of a precipice or tilted at an odd angle, waiting for some unseen technician to push the button that will send a surge of electricity and jolt you into forward motion.

I'm in that vehicle now, stopped in the dark.

My intention in this blog is always to illuminate life in its most positive way, to write about things that move me, inspire me, experiences that help me grow as a woman, a writer, a person. But the truth is, that life in general is not always positive, that difficult things happen and sometimes cannot be made rosy, must simply be lived through and learned from.

Last week, I wrote about the
exciting new ride our family was embarking on, about the baby my son and daughter in law were expecting. Yet, this week, that ride has stopped, the forward progress halted before the ride had barely begun.

Statistically, I know that more than 60% of women will suffer miscarriage, and that the vast majority of them go on to have healthy, happy babies, often rather quickly afterward. Intellectually, I know that when a woman miscarries early in a pregnancy, it usually means the embryo was "flawed" in some way, could not sustain life. Practically, I understand there are griefs far greater, sorrows much deeper, disappointments much harsher to bear.

Emotionally, none of that matters.

It takes so little time for a mother to endow her baby with an entire world of possibilities - whether that baby is still only a tiny bud yet to flower, or a freshly born, squalling bundle of life. While your body is suffused with hormones, your mind is flooded with hopes and dreams, anticipations of what this child will be like, will do in the world. It happens in a heartbeat, a finger snap, the few seconds it takes for the line on the stick to turn blue. You are a mother.

A friend wrote these words to me:

"Attempting pregnancy is to accept the whole spectrum of possible outcomes. It's emotionally terribly risky, as is parenthood itself. You leave yourself wide open to fate; your children hold your whole life in their hands, for good or for ill. You're open to feelings and experiences that are like nothing else in life. In the end, the early miscarriage may play out in a positive way for them -- they'll have far more perspective and depth than so many whose pregnancies occur as a matter of course. It will make their baby even more precious, even more of a miracle."

I believe this is true, that Brian and Nantana have already taken a deeper step into being parents than they realize, have already risked and suffered, have experienced a taste of the challenge and joy of having children. When this ride is once again set in motion (as I believe it will be very soon), they will be stronger parents and stronger partners when it reaches a safe and natural conclusion.

For now, we shed tears, take deep breaths, and remain seated.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Oh, Becca, my heart goes out to you, your son, his wife, the family.

I'm terribly sorry for your pain and grief...

I do pray that a miracle is soon in the works, and that the ride doesn't stop until you've finished and have a healthy baby to snuggle close in your arms.

Blessings,
Michele

10/14/2007  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm so sorry, Becca, that's awfully sad. I had a miscarriage, though after I'd already had my boys (a different thing entirely), and it was a very disturbing event. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts.

10/14/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

So terribly sorry to hear this, Becca. But your words - and those of your friend - are wise. Sometimes we have to go through the pain to reach the joy - praying that joy is just around the corner for Brian and Nantana. Sending big hugs to you all. xoxox

10/14/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing all of you much love, healing and grace.

10/14/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca, I'm so sorry. I wish I could reach out and hug you. You are a wise woman and a loving mom. Your son and daughter in law are in my thoughts.

10/14/2007  
Blogger Julie said...

Holding out positive thoughts as all of you navigate this wild ride that is life.

10/14/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

I am so sorry, but I hang on to the words you have written here. You have an incredible ability to take a sad event and illustrate how people can grow from that event. My prayers are with you.

10/14/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so so sorry to read this, Becca. My thoughts are with you and your family.

10/14/2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm very sorry Becca! My thoughts are with you and your family. It does make you stronger. HUGS

10/15/2007  
Blogger jzr said...

Oh Becca, I'm so sorry for this loss, but I hear in your words strength and wisdom for all of you to come through this sad time. This is one of life's woes and your friend's words speak of the wisdom necessary to navigate our lives. You are all in my prayers.

10/15/2007  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I hope that Brian and Nantana's joyous new beginning finds them again soon.

10/16/2007  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

As your friend intimated ... the ride is in the scope of possibilities that we may experience. I'm so sad to hear that you, Brian & Nantana, and your family, are experiencing the more difficult possibilities that pregnancy & parenting offer. Peace and love to all of you, JP/deb

10/16/2007  
Blogger Jams said...

My son and his wife had a similar experience with their first try. No matter that there may be deeper pains in the world; this is your pain. You're entitled to feel the depth of it without any disclaimer. I am sad for your loss and wish for you the healing and the next joy that will surely come.

10/17/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

My heart reaches out to you and your family. Sending you love and comfort.

10/18/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs, hugs & more hugs* I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, Becca. My heart, and prayers, go out to you and your family. I'll be sending good thoughts your way. Take care!

10/19/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home