Sunday, October 28, 2007

Wedded Bliss

I'm a sucker for weddings, and always get teary eyed when the groom catches his first glimpse of the bride as she appears in all her glory at the foot of the aisle.

Yesterday was certainly no exception, since the groom in this case happened to be one of my son's best high school buddies, a boy who spent a good deal of time lolling on my couch watching TV and eating pizza, his ever larger tennis shoes parked at my doorstep where he always (politely) kicked them off when he came in. Of course, seeing my son standing at the altar beside his friend, looking so handsome in his tuxedo, certainly added fuel to my emotional fires.

The longer I'm married, the more meaningful weddings are. Seeing a couple just starting out on their journey together, the world in front of them with its wide array of choices and opportunities, knowing the kinds of joys and sorrows they will face, I can only smile in wonder at their blissful innocence. Marriage is such a mixed bag~some days you're so in love you can't bear to be apart for a minute, others you'd like nothing better than to send your mate on the next one way shuttle to outer space.

But for the lucky ones (of which I'd count myself) days like the former far outweigh the latter. Sharing life with a partner, a companion, a best friend, only makes the good days far sweeter, and eases the pain when the inevitable bad days come around.

So, I offer this traditional blessing to Jon and Corey, and this reminder to Brian and Nantana, and this thank you to my own Jamey, for the ways he has fulfilled these words in my life...

Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other.
Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you.
May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years.
May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth.

photo ~ Jon and Corey Foster; Nantana and Brian Rowan

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I love those words.

Such a beautiful photo of the bride and groom, Apple and Brian.

Weddings never fail to choke me up; the swell of whatever music the bride chooses to accompany her as she walks in brings a lump to my throat and as the guests rise to watch her walk in, the tears come whether I know her personally or not. Truly a special time.

10/28/2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

What a beautiful post and wonderful wise words. The photo is terrific as well, of both happy couples!

10/29/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love weddings too. Your son and daughter in law are such a sweet looking couple, as are the bride and groom!!
What a special day.

10/30/2007  
Blogger Jams said...

So lovely, so young, so much ahead.

10/30/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home