Thursday, September 27, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

This week Booking Through Thursday asks:
Buy A Friend a Book Week is October 1-7 (as well as the first weeks of January, April, and July). During this week, you’re encouraged to buy a friend a book for no good reason. Not for their birthday, not because it’s a holiday, not to cheer them up–just because it’s a book.
What book would you choose to give to a friend and why?
And, if you’re feeling generous enough–head on over to Amazon and actually send one on its way!
I trade books with my friends all the time~sometimes it's hard to keep track of who has what, they get passed around to so many people. But I rather like the idea of buying a friend a book for no particular reason, especially since I know it will return to me eventually!
The Whole World Over, by Julia Glass, was one of my favorite reads last year. Glass has a real flair for description and character development. This is a sumptuous book about relationships, and, yes, friendships~ it makes wonderful "curl up with some chocolate and wine" reading, just the kind of thing I like to encourage my friends to do.
For my writer friends, The Right to Write, by Julia Cameron, provides the perfect combination of inspiration and exercise in short, concise chapters. This book distills all Cameron's highly touted theories about writing into one small volume. It's my favorite of all her books.

For more ideas on book shopping for your friends, check out Booking Through Thursday.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read both some time back. I liked too. I did some exercises out of the second.

Great choices!

9/27/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I may have to pick up that Cameron book!

9/27/2007  
Blogger Michele said...

I agree with Heather on that Cameron book!

You always share something inspirational and/or insightful. Keep up the awesome writing, Becca!

Smiles,
Michele

9/27/2007  
Blogger BookGal said...

OK ... I've read Cameron's other books and never thought about gifting them. They feel too personal to me. I've never read that Cameron book, though.

9/27/2007  
Blogger tanabata said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad to hear that 'The Whole World Over' was one of your favourite reads last year. I really enjoyed 'Three Junes' when I read it a few years ago. I'll have to look for this one.

9/28/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

I loved Glass's first book so I will have to get this one. Thanks for the ideas.

9/28/2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I love sharing books with friends and then discussing them.

9/30/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home