Monday, October 1, 2007

Encyclopedia of Me Monday: H is for...

I'm a homebody. With each passing year, I become more in love with being in my house, holed up in my cozy office or curled in the corner of my big green chair, puppies snoozing quietly beside me. My home is extremely important to me. It's my safe haven, my protection against the elements, my security blanket against the world. It's the place where I've had my happiest moments, really, where I've spent the most time with the people I love best.


When I moved into this house 31 years ago, I was barely out of high school, newly married, and wildly excited about being independent, free from the smothering atmosphere of my parents home where I was loved just a little bit too much. Finally, I was the master of my own universe, maker of my own meals, keeper of my own hours. I had a home-and a life-of my own.


It's unusual these days for people to live in one house for such a long time. And, even more unusual is the fact that his house was built by Jim's parents - he has spent his entire life in this place. When we bought our second home in Florida a few years ago, it was a thrill to have that brand new home of our own, one no one had ever lived in. For a time, I was captivated by the beauty of that new house, and our old home felt obsolete, like a tired old pair of shoes~comfortable, but no longer fashionable.


Lately, I've developed a newfound appreciation for this faithful abode. It's sturdy and strong, if a little worn around the edges. It's warm and snug in the winter, and the yard fills with breezes and birdsong in the summer. It's chock full of memories - of little boy laughter, and puppy dog barking. Within its walls are harbored all my hopes and dreams, the evidence of my triumphs and failures, the hopes for victories in the future. It's where I've recovered from illness, cried in despair and grief, rejoiced in good fortune.


It's home.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

Oh, I loved loved loved this post! Absolutely marvelous!

I'm a homebody too and completely relate ;-) There's such a comfort, such a peace and joy that comes with "home."

You've thrilled "us readers" yet again with a breathtaking glimpse into your soul...

Smiles,
Michele

10/01/2007  
Blogger Alessandra Cave said...

I love the "encyclopedia of me" idea. You should run with that in your wild writing... to see where it takes you.

It must be wonderful to have a house full of memories and stories like you do. I used to take "home" for granted but now I have finally created a place where I carefully surrounded myself with all the things that define me... which tend to be pieces I collected along the way in my travels... And it is so comforting to have all that within reach.

Can a gypsy become a homebody? Yaikes! I guess my reputation is doomed ;-)

10/01/2007  
Blogger Deirdre said...

The thought of living in the same house for 31 years fills me with such deep longing. Sinking your roots that deeply into the earth can't help but allow you to bloom.

I loved this post. It's perfect for this time of year when the seasons change and it's time to get cozy for the coming winter.

10/01/2007  
Blogger Christy Woolum said...

We are so alike. I haven't lived in my house as long, but I do love home and have become such a homebody with the puppies, the fire, music, and my laptop. Great post.

10/01/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your home sounds as if it holds lovely memories for you. I can see why you are a homebody. I've never been in one place for over 10 years so staying somewhere for as long as you have is awe-inspiring to me.

10/02/2007  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

This is just lovely! And what's also unusual these days is to be married for 31 years. Congrats on that!

10/02/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home